Electrical fires in homes are more common than you think, especially when you are dealing with issues like faulty wiring and ageing appliances. Electrical home fires not only result in significant asset losses, but they could also pose severe danger to your family. Following certain judicious strategies can typically prevent most of these types of fires, so make sure you hire electrical contractors to take care of any small problem before it becomes a catastrophe.

Conduct Home Wiring Inspections

This aspect is particularly important if you have old wiring in your home. Old or faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of electrical fires, so it may be a prudent idea to hire electrical contractors to undertake an inspection of your home’s wiring every few years ­–– especially if you notice signs of fraying and tattering around the wires. Wires in poor condition can overheat and cause sparks, which will ultimately lead to an electrical fire if left unchecked. If your home wiring is in danger of causing an electrical fire, your electrician may recommend certain repairs or replacements to keep your home safe.

Avoid Overloading Electrical Circuits

Electrical circuit overloading is another common reason why electrical fires start in homes. Modern appliances consume more electricity than the existing capacity of older electrical circuits, which eventually causes overloading. This overloading typically happens when you place too many heavy-duty appliances like laptops, mobile phones, tablets, computers, lighting devices and lamps into the same power strip or electrical outlet. The best way to avoid overloading electrical circuits is to plug appliances into different circuits within your home. Alternatively, you can get your electrical contractors to replace existing circuits with higher capacity versions if possible.

Keep Electrical Appliances At A Safe Distance From Flammable Fabrics

Electrical appliances like irons, powerful lamps, hair straighteners and hairdryers generate a tremendous amount of heat while they are plugged into live power sockets. If these electrical appliances are left unattended next to flammable fabrics like towels, curtains, bed sheets, rugs, carpets and blankets, the entire room could catch fire without your knowledge. Similarly, many homeowners like to hide extension cords and power cables below carpets to sidestep a cluttered wiring appearance. But this could present an even larger problem when frayed cables and extension cords overheat and start an unprecedented electrical fire in your home.

These judicious strategies will help you prevent an electrical fire in your home. Keep in mind that any repairs, replacements or modifications of electrical systems are best undertaken by qualified electrical contractors for your safety.